Sunday, May 2, 2010

Spring Market!

I went to the Saint Joseph Spring Market today thinking, being that it's the last day of the weekend, that it would be picked through and there would be nothing left. Boy, was I wrong! The place was huge first of all, it was indoors (which was nice since the weather was not so great) and there were flyers pasted on every corner saying "Vendors restocking daily"!
The setting was the Saint Joseph Ballroom and it took me an hour and a half to get through it all. Of course, I can't skim through. I have to see everything, you know.
My most exciting find was an adorable vintage houndstooth jacket with cherry-red lining for Amelia to wear in the Fall. Sooo cute! I was pretty stoked to find a faux bois desk lamp for only $4.00 for my workroom. There were some really fantastic things that I had to drag myself away from, including some super charming metal lawn chairs and a shabby iron crib.
I am happy to say I only bought a couple of things for my Etsy shop and everything else was for keeps! I got a bag of magnetic letters for some fun projects to come, a sweet apron, and some enamel pins. Ahhh, retail therapy, vintage style!
The market was very well organized and the pathways were nice and roomy. It was set up like an antiques mall and had individual booths for each vendor, but some of them sold homemade goodies like bread mixes, jams, purses and aprons. There were lawn and garden ornaments including some very creative birdbaths made from reclaimed stools and broken china. The best part: you don't pay each vendor like at a flea market. You only have to pay once at the end and they take credit cards! Well, maybe the credit card part is sort of a bad thing...
If you are interested, they will be open again next weekend too starting Thursday, May 6th at 10:00 am. I'd like to try to get over there again. Maybe I'll take the stroller and bring the kids too...or not. I'll be sure to bring the camera though.

No comments: