Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Natural cleaner

After having children I really started paying attention to labels and what kinds of crazy chemicals are in everyday products they could come in contact with. I'm not worried about them getting under the sink and drinking a gallon of drain cleaner. We keep our cleaners locked away. I'm more concerned with the cleaners we use on our floors and the detergent we use on our clothes and dishes.
I think most of us are looking for ways to be safer and also to be more environmentally friendly. These cleaners were created in order to make our lives easier but at what cost? Ok, I'm not climbing onto my soapbox to start preaching. I just thought I would share a couple of cheap, easy, natural cleaners that I use and you probably have the ingredients already in your house. In return maybe you can share some of your own recipes for floors, laundry, dishwasher, etc.
Glass cleaner: For a really actual streak free, (not just says it is and then really isn't) glass cleaner find an empty spray bottle. Mix in 2 tbs of white vinegar, 1/2 tbs cornstarch and fill it up with warm water. Shake it up and get ready to see what you really look like in the mirror! Use crumpled up newspapers for a lint free and re-user friendly wiper-uper.
Carpet stain remover: Mix a paste of 1/2 cup borax, 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 tbs salt. Spread the mixture onto the carpet stain and let it dry, preferably overnight. Then just vacuum it up. I used this when my son pooped on our very light colored carpet and the stain is gone!
Deodorizer for wooden cutting board: I use the juice from one lemon and create a paste directly on the cutting board with baking soda. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes and then wipe it clean with a washcloth.
Deodorizer for thrift store leather (purses, wallets, bags, etc.): Place the item in a plastic bag that you can either tie shut or has a zip lock opening. Carefully place a bowl with a cup of baking soda in the bag with the stinky item and seal it up. After a day or so take a sniff and if the item still has that offensive odor, exchange the baking soda with some fresh stuff and tie it up again.

I am always looking for more recipes. Please share! I use Melaleuca laundry detergent but I would like to find another option.

No comments: