Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Balance

Ok, so I'm back here again. I have not mastered the see-saw in my playground yet. That is, I still have not found a proper balance between my husband and kids, and my selfish self. Before I was concerned (and I believe, rightfully so) that I was not giving my 2 1/2 year old son and my now 7 1/2 month old daughter the attention they deserved.
I felt that I was putting so much effort into getting my Etsy shop up and running and making it successful that I allowed my babies to be babysat by the boob tube. My goal was to find a balance in the month of May and make sure to give Liam and Amelia the best of me.
Well, now here I am, it's the end of May and I my Etsy teeter-totter is up in the air. I love all the time I have with my kids. I don't feel the guilt I was feeling when I would spend every available second listing a new item or packing up a sold item.
The problem is my sales have dropped significantly. I know that in order to get new traffic in my store I need to list new items almost daily. I'm listing one or two new things a week, tops.  I also need to keep up with the Storque (Etsy's blog) and keep shopping and finding new favorites. These things all help to put my store's name out there where buyers or sellers can see it.
I am spending quality time with my children. I know that is important but I love it too. I love spending time with them. I would hate to look back on this time and wish I had given them more.
On the flip side, I love my Etsy shop. I love that on a whim I decided to try it out and found something that feeds my vintage soul. I enjoy finding thing I love and finding them a good home even if it's not my own.


My goal for June is to really find balance. I will ask for more help. I will let my husband know when I need to really focus and I will not spend precious time away frivolously. There is a sort of schedule materializing in my head that should help me to separate my work and family time. I WILL be more productive with my time!

1 comment:

AmieeAya said...

Hey girl! I just wrote to my sister about the same thing... I feel like I'm a stay at home mom wasting so much time! I'm trying to clean my own house and keep things moving toward order, organization, and increasing coziness... Not an easy task. What suffers is my blog/creative pursuits/personal satisfaction... you're right, it's a huge balancing act. It's so easy to be a mom/runner-of-the-family but so hard to be a good one!