Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Vintage Vittles Vednesday

With the chill in the air and the advent of Autumn upon us I felt this recipe might come in handy. This is also kind of a vague recipe but how often do you really follow directions exactly?

Apple Dumplings

Roll pie crust thin (how much? you ask. i dunno.). Cut into squares (how big? how should i know. does size really matter ;o?). Pare and core eight medium sized apples and place an apple on each square. Fill cavities of apples with sugar, add a few grains each (?) of cinnamon and nutmeg and a bit (?) of butter. Wet (be glad i didn't say moist-en... oops!) edges of pastry with white of egg and fold points over apples. Place in dripping pan and pour around dumplings one cup boiling water to which has been added one-half cup sugar, one-fourth cup butter and one-half teaspoon cinnamon. Bake in hot (??? degrees Fahrenheit should do the trick) oven until apples are soft (how you are supposed to know this is beyond me). Before removing from oven brush over with white of egg and sprinkle with sugar. Serve with whipped cream.

I have never actually tried this recipe but as you can see it is very simple and should be a breeze. ?

4 comments:

AmieeAya said...

I love this installment in your blog. Keep em comin'!

Sarah said...

yay! I just made german meatballs and spaeztle from a vintage recipe and it turned out really good. Even Luke liked it and said I should make it again! I think I'll post it next week. A great warm comfort food on a chilly day.

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know I have your page up so I can listen to your playlist! All my music is on our old computer and we haven't transfered anything yet so this is wonderful! Thank God you have good taste ;)

Sarah said...

I'm glad! BTW Matt dropped off the apple butter you made. I love that you used leftover baby food! So smart and frugal you crafty mommy you! Ummm, can I have the recipe? :)